LIFE WITH LYNN


Sharing and enjoying my small-town life with my darling husband, family, friends,
faith, two adorable Ragdoll cats and one very sassy Yorkie!


Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day # 4 (A Favorite Book)

(This is Day # 4 of my 30-day Blog Challenge... please see post of August 31 for details!)






















This one was actually pretty easy.  Again, like the movies post... there were LOTS of choices.  I love books, and I love reading all KINDS of books, and  I could probably list 100 favorites.  But if I have to narrow it down to only one,  that award would have to go to... Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

Here is the plot overview from Spark Notes:

Charlie Gordon, a mentally retarded thirty-two-year-old man, is chosen by a team of scientists to undergo an experimental surgery designed to boost his intelligence. Alice Kinnian, Charlie’s teacher at the Beekman College Center for Retarded Adults, has recommended Charlie for the experiment because of his exceptional eagerness to learn. The directors of the experiment, Dr. Strauss and Professor Nemur, ask Charlie to keep a journal. The entire narrative of Flowers for Algernon is composed of the “progress reports” that Charlie writes.

(Full synopsis is here )

I find this book so touching and so moving.  I first read it in high school for lit class, and I have re- read it every few years since.

If you have never read it, I truly recommend it.  You may find that you are never quite the same.

******************************************************************************

Tomorrow, Day # 5 is "A Favorite Quote".  Then we are out of the "favorites" THANG for awhile!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment